Monday, October 25, 2010

A Daisy Dress...and Coat

My little cousin Daisy is four years old. Aunt Gina asked me to make her some things, and sent me the fabric, and I have to say that she has really excellent taste! A lot of fabric I wouldn't think of, and it really works. This is two things - a little dress with bubble sleeves, made out of a lurex fabric. Three vintage buttons that used to belong to my great-grandmother (and Daisy's!) and some little bubble trim. The lurex fabric is the hardest stuff I've had to work with to date! It wasn't the having to hold it so as not to stretch as I was sewing, it was the fact that the needle tended to bounce off the fabric, and not go through it so much as stretch through it, leaving a weird bumpy seam. I got ballpoint needles to sew with, which helped a lot, but in hind-sight I wonder if I would have been even better off using some type of paper between the seams, and pulling it out when I was done. I finished the neckline with bias tape, and had no trouble with bumpy seams. The tucks in the front of the dress are not straight....Not my best work, and I'm not too happy with it.

The coat is cotton twill, cotton corduroy for collar and cuffs, and pink silk-like lining. The more pieces to something, the more trouble I have keeping it together. I was pretty particular about keeping seam allowances the same, which is my recurring downfall, but even so I still had trouble in a few places.

All in all, I'm happy with it. My machine started acting up, and wouldn't do the buttonholes, so I let it cool down, started it up again and the buttonholer worked! I was happy not to hand-do buttonholes....I'm not very good at them.

No comments:

Post a Comment